The knee is made up of bones, tendons and ligaments
that can be injured or inflamed by overuse, aging or
accidental injury. In good working order, the knee joint
has smooth movement and stability. Age and injuries
can impede the knee and cause a range of problems
from minor pain to immobility. Beaufort Memorial’s
experienced, board-certified orthopaedic specialists
offer a range of treatments that can improve mobility
and ease pain.
Causes of Knee Pain
- Arthritis and Inflammatory Joint Disease
- Ligament Tears
- Overuse or Inflammatory Injuries
Knee Pain Relief
Inflamed tendons or ligaments frequently bring minor pain or discomfort, which can be alleviated with rest, ice (NOT heat), compression and elevation. Lifestyle changes, medication and supportive devices are often enough to help those with early-stage arthritis. If a ligament tears, the severity of the tear will dictate treatment. Always see a physician if you have persistent knee or joint pain.
Healthy Knee Tips
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise regularly
- Don’t ignore pain
Experiencing knee pain? Pain is an important sign from the body. Contact your physician for a referral to a specialist or schedule a visit with an orthopaedic specialist. To learn more about joint pain and treatment options, RSVP for a monthly Joint Replacement Informational Session by calling 843.522.5585.
- FAQ — Get answers to common questions about joint pain
- Rehabilitation — Maintain comfort and mobility through exercise
- Patient Educationmhsc.org/medical-services/orthopaedics/patient-education/default.aspx">Patient Education — Learn about knee and joint health
- Joint Replacement Center — Find out about specialized joint treatment