A sore elbow, aching arm, or stiff hand and fingers can
signal a serious problem. Whether from work or play,
overuse and arthritis are common problems diagnosed
and treated by Beaufort Memorial’s experienced,
board-certified orthopaedic specialists.
Causes of Arm Pain
- Sports or Work Injuries
- Tendon or Muscle Strains
- Tissue or Nerve Problems
Arm Pain Relief
Be sure to remove any rings or jewelry before they become stuck due to swelling. Start by taking a rest from any activity that causes pain. Apply an ice pack for up to 20 minutes to limit swelling. Consider using a compress bandage to support the affected area and, if possible, elevate it above your heart to reduce swelling. Anti-inflammatory over-the-counter medications may help ease pain and speed healing. See a physician immediately if you have sharp, persistent pain or pain that lingers more than a week.
Healthy Arm Tips
- Practice proper form and movement
- Stretch fingers, wrists, arms and neck frequently
- Adjust position if seated for long intervals
- Keep your body hydrated
Experiencing arm pain? Contact your physician for a referral to an orthopaedic specialist or schedule a visit with an orthopaedic specialist. To learn more about arm pain and treatment options, RSVP for a monthly Joint Replacement Informational Session by calling 843.522.5585.
- Rehabilitation — Keep arms, wrists and hands in good working order
- Treatment— Learn about arm treatment options at Beaufort Memorial
- Orthopaedic Specialists — Rely on a team of musculoskeletal specialists
- FAQ — Get answers to common questions about orthopaedic and joint pain