One of the most enjoyable aspects of
Beaufort Memorial’s joint replacement program
is the group therapy model. You and your
classmates will work, play and even celebrate
together in the Joint Replacement Center’s
Sandbar Gym, overlooking the serene Beaufort
River. Many graduates tell us they enjoy the
camaraderie and new friendships as much as
their renewed mobility. With in-hospital recovery complete, often in just two days, you’ll continue to recover at home. Here’s an average course for returning to pre-surgery wellness:
Day of Surgery
- Recovery from surgery progresses.
- Light physical activity begins.
Post-Operative Day One
- Physical activity continues and progresses.
- Group physical therapy, morning and afternoon, begins.
- Discharge planning begins.
Post-Operative Day Two
- Physical activity increases.
- Group physical therapy, morning and afternoon, continues.
- Discharge planning continues.
- When therapy goals are met, you’re ready to head home.
Post-Operative Day Three
- Discharge day arrives!
- Discharge planning is finalized.
- Monitoring your health and incision continues.
- Home care services as ordered by your physician begin.
- Outpatient rehabilitation begins and continues for an average of six weeks.
Headed home? Download our discharge checklist to learn what you need to know and do to be safe.
- Rehabilitation — Regain your health and wellness with outpatient therapy
- FAQ — Questions? Find answers to common joint replacement questions
- The Joint Replacement Experience — Learn about joint pain and treatment from people with
first-hand understanding: real patients