If you have never donated blood before, you are probably wondering what you can expect. You can see the major steps below.
Step 1: Registration
- Present your photo ID Card.
- Read about donating blood.
Step 2: Donor Health History and Mini Physical
- Provide basic health information.
- Answer questions about past and present health history (information is kept private).
- Undergo a mini exam to determine if you are able to donate (temperature, blood pressure, heart rate).
Step 3: Hydration Station
- Drink water or other beverage at the Hydration Station prior to your donation.
Step 4: Donation
- Sit in comfortable chair/cot near other donors.
- Answer a few questions and extend donor arm.
- Squeeze a ball to keep the blood flowing. Once needle is in place, it usually takes less than 10 minutes to draw a unit of blood.
- Occasionally it may be necessary to lower the upper part of your chair and/or raise your legs.
- Finish donation, after which the needle will be removed and a bandage applied.
Step 5: Revitalization Station
- Sit and relax for a few minutes to have a snack and a drink after being escorted to the Revitalization Station.
- All Done! Enjoy your day. You’ve earned it! You’ve helped save a life!
Step 6: After Donation
- Avoid strenuous physical activity or heavy lifting for a few hours. If you feel light-headed, lie down until feeling better.