Rebuilding Strength in People with Lung Problems
We can help you improve your breathing through regular exercise and symptom management. Conditions that can benefit from pulmonary rehab include:
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Cystic fibrosis
- Lung malignancies
- Occupational lung disease
- Sleep disorders
- Lung surgery preparation and recovery
- Chronic bronchitis
There are different phases of pulmonary rehab:
- Phase 1 takes place while you are in the hospital and provides close medical monitoring while gradually increasing your activity before you are discharged. This phase includes education about modifying your risk factors.
- Phase 2 begins shortly after your discharge and generally lasts eight to 12 weeks. You exercise in continuously monitored sessions and increase exercise duration and intensity as your fitness level improves. Risk factor modification and lifestyle changes are emphasized.
- Phase 3 further improves your fitness and reinforces healthy lifestyle practices. Monitoring is not continuous.
- Phase 4 allows you to maintain your improved fitness in a medically supervised environment.
Not everyone will go through every phase. Your program will depend on your circumstances.
To learn more about our pulmonary rehabilitation program: 843-522-5635