Serving for Nearly 70 Years
We opened our doors in May 1944 with 25 beds. Before then, people had to travel over poor roads or by boat to Savannah or Charleston for serious medical care.
Over the years, our community has grown and our hospital has evolved from a small-town hospital with limited services to a high-quality regional referral center.
We are a not-for-profit community hospital with a board of trustees approved by the Beaufort County Council. Although we are a county hospital, we do not receive funding from Beaufort County. In accordance with our nonprofit status, we reinvest all excess revenues into improvements to our facilities and services.
As we have grown and improved, so has our staff. With a medical staff of more than 150 board-certified specialists, we offer a wide range of services to our area residents.